Sparks Christian Fellowship was one of three church plants from Reno Christian Fellowship back in the late 1980's and early 90's (we no longer have any ties with them, but maintain a good friendship). Scott Parker, the Youth Pastor at RCF, took a 9-month sabbatical to complete his Masters Program at Talbot Seminary in the Los Angeles, CA, area. Upon his return he immediately started meeting with people interested in starting a church plant in the Sparks area.
The first of many start-up meetings was held on July 8, 1990, to discuss the vision for a Sparks church. A temporary facility was found and Sunday night services began in September of 1990 in a Lutheran church in Sparks. A permanent leased facility was found in the Greenbrae Shopping Center in Sparks, and a remodel process began (we leased for ten years). We started our first Sunday morning service in September of 1991. By the time, we moved into our remodeled facility, membership had grown to about 300.
After five years in our leased facility, we acquired more square footage from our landlord and remodeled again. We managed the project ourselves using outside contractors and the help of lots of church volunteers. This second remodel took over 3 years (done in stages) at a cost of over $750,000, and resulted in a facility that was 28,000 square feet with a seating capacity of 550 people in the auditorium.
Ultimately, we purchased the strip mall center where we were leasing and initiated plans to expand into adjoining space which has more than doubled our previous space, including a new 1300-seat auditorium. We feel very blessed to have this enlarged facility to serve the Body of Christ here at SCF, as well as our Reno-Sparks community.